The ins and outs of activity-based photo sessions
When I opened the studio two years ago, it was to specialize in children’s photography. I wanted to capture all the different ages and stages, turning these fleeting moments into a bunch of memories for parents. I quickly realised a couple of things:
- Newborns are adorable and don’t have to do a thing to look cute.
- For sitter sessions, there is a set of milestones that you can capture – playing with the toes, tummy time, sitting unassisted – and with their big eyes and perfect skin, they photograph beautifully.
- Preschoolers can take direction fairly well, but you need to keep the session short, and you need to have a plan for the session ready.
- Toddlers! Oh man, I wasn’t so fond of toddler sessions until I figured out the reason. Now they are my favourite age group!
Toddlers are curious, and they love to play and have fun. Sitting still while being coaxed into smiling at a lady with a big black thing in front of her face is just not doing it for them.
THAT was when we decided to offer our activity based photo sessions for toddlers.
For one-year-olds, cake smashes were the obvious answer, but that does not work that well with a two-year-old. So we started thinking about activities that toddlers love.
Have you ever met a toddler that does not love to make a mess? I certainly haven’t! So we decided to give them old fashioned school paint (100% kiddie friendly, non-toxic and easy to clean), a small canvas and a safe space where they can do whatever they want. And paint splashes were born!
- Here are a couple of essential things to know about these sessions:
It is perfect for children up to 6 years old.
- All sessions include portraits with the parents and siblings as well as of the little one on his/her own before we start with the paint splash.
- We include the decor and an outfit for the session based on the theme chosen by you.
- During the session, your little one will get a 20×20 cm canvas to paint on. After the session, we will treat the canvas with lacquer, and you will be able to collect the canvas within seven working days.
We would love to have you and your little one in the studio for one of our activity based sessions. Contact us today to book your session!